How to style WordPress content as paragraphs and headings
Style WordPress content as paragraphs and headings to divide your WordPress content into sections and give it HTML tags which enable search engines to rank your content for showing in web searches. Organising and styling your text correctly will positively affect your SEO rankings too.
How do I create a Heading in WordPress?
First of all, make sure you’re working in the Visual Editor mode. Click on ‘Visual’ (next to ‘Text’) above the Toolbar on the right-hand side if the Visual Editor isn’t showing. Then:
- Place your cursor anywhere in the line of text you wish to make into a Heading.
- Click to open the ‘Paragraph’ drop-down menu on the far left of the toolbar.
- Choose the heading you require e.g. ‘Heading 2’. You will see the text change style in the Visual Editor.
- Click on ‘Preview changes’ in the top right of the Publish module to view the changes on your site before they go live, then click on ‘Update’ to publish your changes.
Tip: Using ‘## heading text’ will transform the text into a Heading automatically eg: Type two hashtags, then a space, then your heading text to create a Heading 2. Typing three hashtags beforehand creates a Heading 3.
Adding a Paragraph
As for adding a heading, make sure you’re working in the Visual Editor mode. Then:
- Highlight the text that you want to make into a Paragraph.
- Check the ‘Paragraph’ format drop-down menu on the far left of the Toolbar.
- Ensure it is set to ‘Paragraph’.
- Click on the ‘Preview Changes’ button in the top right of the Publish module
- Here you can preview your changes on your site before you publish them.
- When you are satisfied with your changes, click on ‘Update’ to publish them to your website.
Extra: The difference between ‘Visual’ and ‘Text’ Editor mode?
- The Visual mode is the default editing mode, which gives you the range of Toolbar formatting icons to enable you to create and edit your content with ease.
- The Text editing mode has fewer options and allows you to create your content in HTML mode.
Need help with your WordPress website?
Blog posts in the WordPress Help series
We are actively writing over 20 blog posts for this WordPress Help series and plan to release at least one new post a week until finished! So far we have published:
- Understanding Your WP Dashboard.
- What Is The WordPress Toolbar?
- The WordPress Visual Editor.
- How To Style WordPress Text.
- How To Add WordPress blog posts.
- How to paste Word text into WordPress correctly. - Available next week.